Every Outlook users performs many operations with MS Outlook like send, receive, delete and many more. While acting these operations most of us witness an error pop up window including message written below. If any Outlook users face this error then it is a clear warning that your Outlook data file (PST) has been corrupted. Corrupt Outlook PST file completely results in unrecoverable data loss.
Showcase of Outlook Error Message
“Message Interface has caused an Unknown error” (Comes when user tries to delete an email)
- Error Message 1:- “An Error Message has occurred 0x80040119”
- Error Message 2:- “An Error Message has occurred 0x80040600”
Although there are lot of reasons behind PST file corruption. Here I am explaining few most common reasons:
- Power Failure,
- Hardware Compatibility,
- Improper system shut down
- Email account Modifications
- Unauthenticated Mail Servers client
- Anti-spam activation
- Scan antiviruses
Possible Solution:- Above mentioned errors can be troubleshoot very easily by using free utility “Scanpst.exe” provided by Microsoft. User can install this utility by their own on their system. But this utility has still some drawbacks.
• Tool doesn’t support PST file supported by ANSI format
• Tool fails to work in case of 2GB file
• Tool does not assure user for successful recover
Procedure to use scanpst.exe on windows7 and Windows Vista are different. Here I am explaining steps for both
Step 1:- Close your Outlook Application
Step 2:- Search for your Outlook PST file using below mentioned steps
Point to control panel click on “User Accounts and Family Safety”.
In case if user will not find “Control Panel Home view” move to STEP 3
- Point to upper-right corner in Search Control Panel box type mail & tap
- Tap on Mail or Mail (32-bit)
- Tap Data Files
- Tap on Personal Folders & click on Settings.
- In the File name box enter text
NOTE: - To view all the text in the File name box click on box & use Right Arrow key to see text
- Click OK & tap two times to Close
Step 4: Use the Inbox Repair Tool
- Browse for the PST file which you found in Step2 & tap and start
- After the Inbox Repair Tool operation is complete, click OK.
- Now, Check whether the problem is resolved or not. If the user still found errors in reading & deleting email then user should move to "Next Step" section.
For Users of Windows 7 & Vista
Step 1: Close your Outlook Application
Step 2: Search for your Outlook PST file using below mentioned steps
- In the open Box of Run type control & tap
- Click on User Accounts to pick a category
NOTE: - In case, if user don't found the category then proceed for Step 4
- Tap two times on e-mail.
- Hit Data Files & click on Personal Folders
- Click on Settings & Enter the text in the File name box.
Note: - You may have to click in the File name box and then use the Right Arrow key to view all the text.
- Click OK & Close it by taping two times.
- Now, Check whether the problem is resolved or not. If the user still found errors in reading & deleting email then user should move to "Next Steps" section.
In case, by using above methods user is not successful in solving the problem then user is advised to create a new “Unicode .pst file” by choosing it as default file. After creation of file, import the data from older .pst file.
Condition: - Condition to Import PST file
To import the original .pst file, firstly removed file from Outlook profile.
Steps to Remove Outlook Data File:-
- Keep Outlook in running mode and do right-click on the name of the Outlook data file (.pst) that you want to remove from the Outlook Bar or Navigation Pane.
- Now, Click on close name.
NOTE: - While clicking if user found CLOSE command is not avail then make sure changes are not applying to default Outlook data file (.pst). Unicode .pst file is used to save messages
After you remove the original .pst file from the profile import the data into the new .pst file
By using this utility, user can resolve this error easily & free of cost. But as I said above this PST repair utility has some issues. For secure and risk free result I would suggest you to opt for Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair Tool. There are several advantages of using this tool.
Benefits of using this tool:
- Proficiently repaired large PST file
- Options to recover accidentally deleted emails
- Options to save repaired PST file
- Options to see preview of repaired PST file
- Options for selective recovery of emails
Conclusion: Both methods are used to repair corrupt PST file but it would be better if user opt for third party tools for their accuracy and risk free conversion.