CRC error is known as a major threat for Outlook users. Many users have been reported this error on various online communities. However, it is difficult to find out the exact reason for this annoying error but Outlook users can adopt preventive tips to keep this error far away. As we all known by the fact that Microsoft Outlook is an outstanding email client that uses by the most of the business users to manage their emails. Outlook stores all its mailbox data into a single data file i.e. PST (Personal Storage Table). But Outlook has some flaws due to which users now facing issues.
Causes of CRC Errors in Outlook?
I have mentioned some major causes of CRC Error.
1. Malware Infection
2. Incomplete download of MS Outlook emails
3. Software Failure
4. Abrupt closing of email client
5. Power Outrage
The error message will be: “File path\filename.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check”.
Methods to fix the CRC Error:
Method 1: If the CRC error is in the Hard disk then follow the below steps:
1. Click on the start button and then type Run or,
Press Windows + R and then type cmd and press Enter
2. In the command box, type chkdsk/f and hit the enter button.
3. After this command, you will see a new message “The type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive”. This means you cannot perform the chkdsk as the volume used by the other process.
Method 2: Recreate the PST file
1. First of all Quit Outlook and open Windows Explorer
2. Select the backup of PST file and rename it to the desired name like filename.pst
3. Next, open the Outlook inbuilt utility i.e. Inbox Repair Tool (ScanPST.exe) to fix the corruption of PST file
Follow the below process to repair your PST file with ScanPST.exe:
1. First of all, close the Outlook if running.
2. Make sure that the Show hidden file and folders option are enabled in your Folder options. As the ScanPST.exe is the hidden file so you need to do the changes in settings, for that follow the steps:
a. Click Start and open Control Panel
b. Double-click on the Folder Options, a new pop-up Windows open, click on the View tab
c. In the hidden files and folder, Please select the option ‘Show hidden file, folders and drive’ and click Ok In case if it is already selected then leave it as it is and click Ok
d. Now click Start and search ScanPST.exe, If you cannot find the ScanPST.exe then try to locate it manually. The location of ScanPST.exe varies by version to version.
I have mentioned its location:
· Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
· Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
· Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
· Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
e. Double click on the program to open the ScanPST.exe
f. Enter the name of the file you want to locate or just browse the PST file.
g. Then click on the Start button, Inbox Repair tool starts the scanning process. In case your PST file is corrupt then it tells to start the repair process.
h. Click on the Repair button and then click Ok after completion of the process.
All the above methods are explained to resolve the CRC error in Outlook. In case if you are unable to fix the error by using above techniques then you can take the assistance of third Party tool like Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair. This tool provides the demo version for the ease of users. It has the support of latest Outlook 2016 and Windows 10.